Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Ace of cakes??????


You know, I have always said that in my next life I'm going to be a world famous chef. I love to cook! I take great pride in making food for people to enjoy. However, I may be good at making meals, but desserts have always been a different world. While I can make great candy, if I do say so myself :), I suck at making pies. A pie crust will make me cry just as quickly as if you had hit me. I don't even try them anymore, in fact the only kind of pie I'll make is a cheesecake. Then there are cakes. I can make a standard birthday cake, nothing fancy. I've taken the Wilton class twice and can almost make a rose, ha! ha!

So you almost have to find it kind of flattering and funny at the same time, that I'm now going to jump in and make a very important cake for an important day. My nephew is getting married in two weeks. Budgets are tight, and so my sister-in-law called and asked if I could take care of the cake, since I bake... I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I said yes. Now we are on the count down to see if I can pull it off.

Tonight was lesson one: making fondant. While I have never made this before, I did search it out on the Internet today and found a recipe for it. It sounded simple enough, so out I went to buy the ingredients. They consist of a bag of miniature marshmallows, powdered sugar and water. As you can clearly see by the photo, misson accomplished. This step seems easy enough, now I can only hope that it rolls out just as easy.

Who knows, maybe I'll turn out to be the next Ace of Cakes. Hopefully I won't turn out to be the laughing stock of cakes, especially since they are counting on me.

Stay tuned to see if I can be the Next Food Network Star! (Can you tell what my favorite station is?)

No comments: